Forums

Moderators: Tarcan Cevik, In2fish, cdiaz
Author Post
clearsky
Thu Apr 15 2010, 05:54pm

Registered Member #5
The other day, I was netting out some mosquito larvae, from one of the many rain water sources in my yard,(don't tell anyone I'm farming mosquitos!) and I noticed one bucket that had many many small aquatic worms, or larvae wiggling around.... they seemed to stay in the water column and were very active.. bright red color, and perfect size so it seemed for my killies....
I netted a load of these and put them in a container where I could look at them closer to figure out what they were.....
Best I can tell you , is the are indeed a bright red color (larger ones)between 1 cm. and 1.5 cm. and smaller ones seemed to be a brown color.... segmented, and appeared to have a "head" end and a rear end...
I have tried to look them up, but no luck with most of the sources I have tried... I realize without a photo it is hard for anyone to maybe tell by my description, but thinking maybe someone else has come accross these and might be able to id them... Do Midges have red larvae...
What I do know is, because they stay in the water column, and wiggle a bunch, the killies seemed to eat em up!!! and even a couple of my fussier fish seemed to really like them...
I only fed a few at a time so as to make sure they were eaten... didn't want to find some strange monster that inbedded in one of the tanks and took over......

any ideas would be greatful...
thanks
david

orchid addict gone to the dogs (and now Killies)
Niko
Thu Apr 15 2010, 09:17pm
Registered Member #14
Blood worms= midge fly larva...........niko
clearsky
Fri Apr 16 2010, 07:40pm

Registered Member #5
Thanks Niko...... I thought that they may be midges... but wasn't sure... boy the fish love them though

orchid addict gone to the dogs (and now Killies)

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF