Forums

The Chesapeake Area Killifish Club :: Forums :: Forum and CAKC News :: Introduce Yourselves

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Hi from Christiansburg
Moderators: Tarcan Cevik, In2fish, cdiaz, SonnyDispositn
Author Post
rpowell
Sun Sep 12 2010, 02:47pm
Registered Member #34
I am a former member of the Minnesota Killie Keepers Association who moved to SW Virginia a little more than a year ago. I'm trying to decide if I want to drive all the way across the state to attend your meetings. I feel like I'm in a fish keeper's black hole here all the way on the far side of Virginia. I have been keeping fish since the mid 60's. I have 75 tanks, some of which I haven't filled yet since moving here, but my killies are spawning like crazy. I am interested in the AKA's KAP program, but don't have anyone here to verify my spawns for me, so don't know if I'll be able to. I currently have set up a couple tanks of African cichlids, a discus tank, a plant/livebearer tank, and a reef tank, in addition to about 30 tanks of killie breeders and numerous small egg and fry containers.

I was formerly active in the Minnesota Aquarium Society, the MKKA, the IBC, and was the founder of the Upper Midwest Betta Breeders Association. I am currently a member only of the AKA. I also was the editor of the MAS' publication "Aqua News" and in the 80's-90's wrote about 75 articles, most of which were republished in many other clubs' newsletters. I burned out after a while and dropped out, but came back heavy into killies, dropped out again to attend law school, and now am back heavy into killies again after moving to Virginia.

Like someone else on this forum, I have or have had other hobbies, including orchids and showing English bulldogs, but also antique cars and stamp collecting. By profession, I am an attorney, licensed in Minnesota, and am currently working as a senior export/import control officer in Virgina for a major defense contractor.

Dick Powell
ADRIAAN
Sun Sep 12 2010, 04:07pm
Registered Member #25
hoi dick
i will you welcome here .
and make a lot of plesure here .
best regards ad
Tarcan Cevik
Sun Sep 12 2010, 08:31pm

Registered Member #1
Hi Dick,
Welcome to our website. I am the member of AKA also. We'll be glad to see you at our meetings. Next meeting will be at the Sterling library next Saturday. Hope to see you there.

Tarcan
rickdotson
Sun Sep 12 2010, 10:35pm
Registered Member #30
Welcome Dick.

Hope you can make it to some of our meetings it would be great to meet you in person. You are welcome to stay with us for the night. I am not able to make the meeting next week but after that let me know.

Rick
Niko
Mon Sep 13 2010, 08:28pm
Registered Member #14
Well Dick I am glad that you at least joined our site. How are the fish doing that Gary Greenwood sent,yes Gary asked me if I knew where you lived before he shipped we talk at least 4 times a week. If you come up route #81 and then take #66east you could meet some of the club and bring some populations of killies and I will sign your KAP forms.I understand that it is a ride but worth it once in a while Regards Nick V. (niko) "The Pres." Hope to see you at the meeting, we are a very informal group!
rpowell
Tue Sep 14 2010, 09:30pm
Registered Member #34
After it took the Post Office 5 days to deliver Gary's fish, I thought they'd be in terrible shape, given the heat, but they were in great shape. I had some trouble getting them to eat because it was too hot to order black worms and they didn't seem to like anything I gave them that was frozen. I looked over the KAP rules and I won't have 10 sexable fry of any one species this month. Maybe next month, though. I have some species hatching a few here and a few there, but I have some, like F. spoorenbergi that are hatching 15-35 a day. I have mostly Chromaphyosemions, larger Fundulopanchax, and a few others. My most prolific fish seem to be the F. spoorenbergi, orange australe, chocolate australe, Biv. Funge. I'm having some trouble with my micro worms, walter worms, and banana worms. My new cultures I tried to start all went bad for some reason and the older ones stopped producing. I've never had that happen before. Is it possible that someone might have some cultures of one or more of these I could buy at the meeting?
Niko
Fri Sep 17 2010, 07:06pm
Registered Member #14
Dick there will be food cultures at the meeting. I am pleased that you have decided to make the the journey .I am sure that you will fit right in with my group.The are all a fine group of people and make my job a lot of fun.I am sure that we have met at one or more of the shows in the Mid-West. Best Regards Nick V. (niko)
rickdotson
Sun Oct 17 2010, 03:09pm
Registered Member #30
Dick it was nice meeting you. Maybe sometime you can tell me about your betta breeding days.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF