The Chesapeake Area Killifish Club :: Forums :: Species :: New World

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Cingulatus success!
Moderators: Tarcan Cevik, In2fish, cdiaz
Author Post
SonnyDispositn
Wed Oct 13 2010, 10:03am
Registered Member #26
The F. cingulatus spawned. I took the male with the best colors--one of the smallest ones, unfortunately, and one of the biggest females and put them together in a five gallon tank. I put a couple of inches of river stones on the bottom, jammed it full of plants--mostly hornwort, but also some java moss, then filled it up with rainwater from my roof and set the heater on 80. After a week, I took the pair out and a week after that, I saw some tiny fry. They're very shy, hard to see, and don't show themselves often, but last night they came out to eat some vinegar eels mixed with decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. If I get my act together tonight, I'll get started hatching some brine shrimp eggs.

The same identical strategy worked for some rainbowfish, too (M. praecox.) Unfortunately, I filled the tank with water lettuce from Bruce Hahn's pond, because I heard that the adults like to spawn in trailing roots. I saw lots of fry at first, but none in the last couple of days. On Saturday, I saw a damselfly larvae in the tank, apparently carried in as eggs on the water lettuce. I've hunted down and removed about 35 of them with a turkey baster, but it's always the ones that you don't see that cause problems.

\"You never know what you\'re going to find, or where you\'re going to find it, so keep looking.\"
-Bob
http://www.sonnysfishroom.com

Niko
Wed Oct 13 2010, 12:44pm
Registered Member #14
That is really great news Bob. "Congratulations" You simulated spring,I like that..............Niko
SonnyDispositn
Thu Oct 14 2010, 09:49am
Registered Member #26
I think I simulated summer. I got them last May, so I don't think they had a chance to go into winter mode yet. They wouldn't spawn at 70, which is the typical summer temperature for my fishroom, but bumping them up to 80 did the trick.

\"You never know what you\'re going to find, or where you\'re going to find it, so keep looking.\"
-Bob
http://www.sonnysfishroom.com

rickdotson
Sun Oct 17 2010, 03:08pm
Registered Member #30
Congratulations.
ADRIAAN
Sun Oct 17 2010, 04:03pm
Registered Member #25
yes congratulations from me
and let they groing up .nice.

best regards ad

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF