Forums

The Chesapeake Area Killifish Club :: Forums :: General :: Equipment & DIY Ideas

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Water proof plastic sealant?
Moderators: Tarcan Cevik, In2fish, cdiaz, SonnyDispositn
Author Post
SonnyDispositn
Thu Nov 18 2010, 01:29pm

Registered Member #26
I'm drilling a clear plastic shoebox to turn it into a flow-through fry incubator that will sit on a glass shelf just above the tank.

The fittings leak a little, which is not a big deal, but I suppose I should seal them up.

Can anyone recommend a non-toxic, water proof plastic sealant that will bind plastic and pvc?

\"You never know what you\'re going to find, or where you\'re going to find it, so keep looking.\"
-Bob
http://www.sonnysfishroom.com

clearsky
Thu Nov 18 2010, 10:00pm

Registered Member #5
The only thing I know is Silicone...... I have used a bit of the cpvc cement before to glue rigid tubing to a piece of pvc for those little elbow filters (see notes on Dave Snells filters) but, I am not absolutely certain whether or not it is toxic.... I imagine once its dry, and not a lot used, it should be ok... afterall.... I havent had any problems doing that....
david

orchid addict gone to the dogs (and now Killies)
SonnyDispositn
Fri Nov 19 2010, 10:08am

Registered Member #26
Thanks. I thought silicone only sealed glass, not plastic, but I'll give it a try.

\"You never know what you\'re going to find, or where you\'re going to find it, so keep looking.\"
-Bob
http://www.sonnysfishroom.com

Niko
Fri Nov 19 2010, 01:41pm
Registered Member #14
If the holes are drilled very tight you can use clear PVC Cement it will out-gas in 24hrs. If not you can use threaded fitting (nipple) and place a small rubber washer and plastic nut on both sides. HomeDepo or Lowes carries a variety of things you can adapt to your needs. Niko
clearsky
Fri Nov 19 2010, 09:31pm

Registered Member #5
Yeah: Nicks idea would work best, but I know even though silicone doesn't "stick" to plastic like it does glass, it still would create a seal similar to a washer when dry.

orchid addict gone to the dogs (and now Killies)

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF