Forums

The Chesapeake Area Killifish Club :: Forums :: Forum and CAKC News :: Introduce Yourselves

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Collecting Trip This Saturday
Moderators: Tarcan Cevik, In2fish, cdiaz
Author Post
JLW
Tue Oct 11 2011, 10:29pm
Registered Member #65
Hello all.

This is Joshua Wiegert, who'll be leading the collecting trip this weekend. I just wanted to share a couple of things with you all. The area where we will be collecting is in a park in Virginia. As such, you must get a Virginia State Fishing License. You can get a 5-day permit for about $27. The area is patrolled by wildlife officers. I'm not your keeper, so, if you choose to forgo it and get a ticket, I will point and laugh.

The water may be chilly at this point. You might want to consider getting a cheap pair of waders or hip boots. The water isn't deep, so even rain boots will work.

Lastly, I'm actually looking to match up a few solo killifish of my own, and am wondering if anyone here can help me out this weekend (or down the road). I'm looking for:

Aphy. biv. Tiko Green, I need a female.
Riv. cylindricus "Al Castro", I need a female.
Notho Kort. "Mafia Island," I need either a female or a new pair, my male is OLD.
Aphy. biv. Funge' -- I need a male (the individual I have is fairly plain, with two lines on it, I'm assuming its the female, but .... )

Also, if anyone has any species of Simpsonichthys, I would love to get either eggs or a pair at auction.

Thanks!

<><
Joshua Wiegert
SonnyDispositn
Wed Oct 12 2011, 02:20pm
Registered Member #26
Nice note, Josh. It makes up for the burning pizza.

I notified the state DGIF of the trip this Sunday and they approved it. If anyone questions you, tell them I spoke with Ms. Shirl (Cheryl?) Dressler.

Here’s the regulation that applies. From my post on the PVAS list this morning.

"
OK.

I notified the VA Dept of Fish and game, and told them of our (CAKC's) plans. In addition to having a fishing license, collection FOR PRIVATE USE is legal per the Virginia Administrative Code, 15-360-10.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/permits/guide.asp

"Taking aquatic invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, and nongame fish for private use**

It is lawful to collect and possess live for private use** only, and NOT FOR SALE, no more than 5 individuals of any non-listed species of amphibian and reptile, and no more than 20 individuals of any non-listed species of aquatic invertebrate and nongame fish (4 VAC 15-360-10). Non-listed terrestrial invertebrates may be taken in unlimited numbers for private use** only. NO Threatened and Endangered Species may be held for personal use.

* ** private use means for use in the home, not for scientific, research, survey or educational purposes (which requires a permit)."

THANKS, JOSH, FOR TAKING THE GROUP OUT THIS SATURDAY! Sorry I can't be there.

\"You never know what you\'re going to find, or where you\'re going to find it, so keep looking.\"
-Bob
http://www.sonnysfishroom.com

Gardengirl
Wed Oct 12 2011, 03:33pm
Registered Member #17
Thanks Bob and Josh! Looking forward to seeing all the killifish peeps at my place on Saturday, and a few PVAS members as well. The water in Cub Run is COLD this time of year so bring waders or tall boots, also beware of broken glass in the water. No bare feet, please!

Niko is bringing a tank of propane for my grill, so feel free to bring burgers or dogs if you wish to grill. I'm looking forward to seeing you all at my place!!!

Sherry Mitchell

PVAS -- Transforming the hobby, one tank at a time.....

Take care of the water, and the fish will take care of themselves.....
Niko
Fri Oct 14 2011, 02:42pm
Registered Member #14
I am making Orange Curry Chicken Salad
JLW
Fri Oct 14 2011, 04:12pm
Registered Member #65
Hello Group --

In case you haven't noticed, it rained a lot the past couple of days. As a result, the local streams are severely swollen. Water is deep and swift right now. There is a chance that the storm surge will pass in the night and that Cub Run (at least) will be back to normal by tomorrow, but if it is high and treacherous, we will not be fish collecting. Not only would it be potentially dangerous to do so, but quite honestly, it wouldn't be productive. Most of the fish hide in deep water when it gets like this, and they're not exactly easy to catch.

With all that said, it looks like the weather this weekend is going to be fairly good (though windy tomorrow), so the meeting etc. should be a great time regardless. My plan is to play it by ear -- if its bad, we won't go, if its good, we will.

PS -- I'm bringing really good brownies. Store bought -- you don't have to eat my cooking.

<><
Joshua Wiegert
Nathan
Fri Oct 14 2011, 11:17pm
Registered Member #62
I could use java moss if anyone has extra

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF